How much I made from big Pharma?Dec 12, 2022
I recently made a TikTok about the kickbacks that are common when recommending supplements and non-insurance-covered testing.
This is an especially common part of the business model that is taught to those pursuing functional medicine training.
As I have written before I think the heart behind functional medicine is in the right place but I am very skeptical of many of the marketing and business tactics that accompany a good number of those practicing in this sphere. To dig into this further you can read my blog about it…
But when I promote transparency, caution, and conscientious use of supplements, I am always accused by some troll of being a shill for big Pharma.
And honestly, at this point, I just sit and laugh and shake my head because…
- You can look up CMS's website to see I have received a total of $25 from pharma since 2017.
This is a result of the Sunshine Act which legally requires this transparency.
They aren’t paying my bills folks…
- Healthcare professionals & influencers promoting supplements and unvalidated testing are not legally required to report the 30-50% commissions they get from recommending particular products & labs.
- I work for a public institution and in academic medicine, we have to submit & update disclosure statements routinely.
This includes the beginning of all talks I give.
- It is a fact that the supplement market is fraught with adulterated & mislabeled products.
What is on the label is not necessarily what is in the bottle.
Here is a recent study on immune-boosting products:
- Did you know that herbal & dietary supplements account for around 20% of liver injuries?
Unfortunately, I have 1st hand experience with this…in 2019 I developed liver damage due to a superfood supplement I was taking.
I would love to hear what grinds your gears surrounding the wellness vs big pharma debate.
I would love to hear your perspective! I have major issues with both of them and will dig into more of them in future blog posts.
P.S You know what I take full ownership and transparency in?
I am a life coach and trained in lifestyle medicine i.e. the science of using our daily habits to support our health and healing.
I earn 50% of what Jen & I bring in with our joint coaching programs and the Belong Community.
And if you ask me, Belong is the BEST deal on the planet right now if you are thinking that 2023 is the year for change.
For $23/mo you get access to a registered dietician and board-certified immunologist/life coach/autoimmune patient.
You get monthly meal plans.
- Training in how to support your evolution to becoming the best version of you.
- Coaching calls.
AND I haven't even gotten to the BEST part...
- A community of badass successful women who are not about to let their misbehaving immune systems totally sideline them from experiencing JOY during their time on planet earth.
I promise it will be the best decision you've made this year for the future version of you!